Pages

Friday 10 May 2013

Persuasive Writing

For our writing in Term 1 and the start of Term 2 we have been doing Persuasive Writing. One of the most popular topics were should we put a tax on junk food? First we read some other peoples persuasive writing. Their topics were child slavery and saving the whales! Then we got to plan our own. When we were planning we had to choose a topic to get us started. Once we had chose our topics we had to research facts on the Internet to get us started. Here is my finished piece of writing...



How many people each day do you pass that are either overweight, fat or obese? What is causing these problems? I have one answer...  fatty, unhealthy junk food.

Should we put a tax on fatty, unhealthy junk foods? I strongly think we should. I believe this because 60% of people in the world are overweight. If we put a tax on the unhealthy foods that our bodies don't need, it would definitely reduce obesity issues.

My second reason is that if we put a tax on unhealthy food people would stop buying them. I personally think that we eat lots of fatty food because it is so cheap. If it was more expensive people would eat out less often and make more of an effort to make their own dinner at home without all the preservatives. Not only would this cut down on the risk of heart diseases and strokes it would also save money.

My third reason is that people are eating twice the amount of salt and sugar our bodies need. This is why there is now two types of diabetes. One is caused by too much sugar and the other you were born with. Just think about all the people with sugar diabetes. If we put a tax on junk food less people would have diabetes. 

My fourth reason is that if we put a tax on junk food people would stop buying them because they can't afford them. We should put 15% tax on the fatty foods and take 15% tax off fruit and vegetables. Our bodies need healthy food and people wouldn't want to buy the unhealthy food.

That is why I believe we should put a tax on fatty, unhealthy junk food. My first reason is that so many people in the world are overweight it's not funny. My second reason is that we only buy it because it is so cheap if a tax was put on then people would stop eating out and and make their own meals at home. My third reason is that people are getting heart diseases and strokes this needs to stop! My last reason is that if we put a tax on junk food we could take it off the healthy food our bodies need.  

So what do you think? Should we put a tax on junk food?

 By Omea Hall

2 comments:

  1. I do think we need to put tax on junk food.
    By Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you Nicole junk food does need a tax put on it.
      By Magenta

      Delete